Monday, August 18, 2008

More Summer Produce to Love... Zucchini!


In keeping with my trend of highlighting summer produce, I would be remiss to leave out zucchini. This colorful summer squash, native to the Americas, boasts less than 30 calories per cup and is packed with nutrients. Specifically, zucchini has significant amounts of fiber, folate, potassium, magnesium, beta carotene, and vitamins C and A. It is also rich in lutein and the antioxidant zeaxanthin which promotes healthy vision.

Zucchini is an excellent “stealth” food, meaning it is easy to sneak into other foods to boost their nutrition. I add a ½ cup to my turkey meatloaf, make an excellent zucchini bread, and a delicious zucchini fritter that can be an hors d’oeuvre or light meal. Brush medallions of zucchini with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked pepper then throw them on the grill.

Although I didn’t grow any this year (a first for me), my sister-in-law has kept me well stocked—thanks Nicole!

No comments: