Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Watermelon is the best part of summer...


Fresh watermelon is undoubtedly one of my favorite things about summer. Jaimes and I can take down a watermelon like piranha on a cow. I’ve always loved them, but now that I know more about their nutrition I have even more reason!

A one cup serving has only 48 calories (which is good because I’d never stop at one cup) and is rich in a host of nutrients. For example, it has high levels of antioxidants vitamins A (11% RDA) and C (23% RDA) and the carotenoid lycopene (more than tomatoes!) which has been shown to reduce cancer risk. Watermelon is also a very good source of vitamin B6 and B1, potassium and magnesium. The fruit is also as rich in iron as spinach (and far tastier IMHO). Plus, the vitamin C it contains helps with iron absorption, making the nutrient more bioavailable than many other non-heme (read: plant based) sources.

No comments: